These are my final packaging designs, coloured and rendered in different surfaces:
Have finished all Rhino tutorials, and have just had a vague attempt at drawing my own packaging designs, just to get a rough idea about how hard it will be, and how much time it will take.
This is the result:
It’s not very detailed yet, and it is not correctly measured because I did not bring my layout pad but you get the general idea. The razor itself is very complex, and I doubt I will be able to recreate it in two weeks, with only 6 hours practise with this program. However, I feel that if I just do the packaging you can get a good idea of what I am aiming for.
Experimented with drawing a basic chair, using elevator mode to assist with drawing.
This was a little bit frustrating as it’s hard to work out which viewport to look in, but I managed it in the end. The next step is to add surfaces to the chair.
Different kinds of chairs:
Using surface tools (may be most relevant for creating razor packaging):
Using fillet surface create curves between edges, for example if a surface is 10cm, make radius 5, then click on first surface, then second surface and press enter, and it should create a smooth curve between the two edges rather than a sharp right angle. I just kept selecting surfaces to see what would happen, and the results are below. This could prove a very useful tool for creating smooth edges on the main packaging idea, as most of the ideas are boxes with smoother edges because the nets will be simpler.
Using the loft tool.
Create a column of circles using the ‘control click’ function, if you control click in the top viewpoint you can draw in the front or right viewpoints, to achieve the column, and vice versa. Then click on the ‘loft’ tool and select the circles from bottom to top to create a vase type thing. Also experiment with selecting the circles out of order to see what happens.
Selecting the circles in order from bottom to top:
Selecting the largest circles first:
Selecting the smaller circles first:
Selecting a random order:
This is my second Rhino lesson because I had to miss last week unfortunately. There’s only two weeks left of these lessons, but there are two weeks left till the hand in so it works perfectly, at least in theory. Whether I have enough skills after two lessons to create a 3d image is another matter.
Today I am learning how to draw outside the grid, using Booleans. It’s to learn about using the program, and becoming more confident with the tools featured.
This is my progress so far, whether it is right or not I’m not sure:
Getting the perspective right is difficult, and because I don’t know how to use the tools properly yet it is hard creating drawings off the grid and getting them right. It’s all about trial and error.
Below is an example of Boolean difference. This was created by drawing a large cylinder, then a thinner but taller one ‘near’ to the left hand edge. ‘Polar array’ was then used in the ‘top’ viewport to create the ring of cylinders. The next tool to use will be the ‘Boolean difference’ tool, which will cut the smaller pillars out of the larger one, giving a ribbed effect.
This is simple because there are tutorials here to help and fall back on, but whether or not this can be applied to my own packaging designs remains to be seen. It’s hard not to be a little apprehensive about this, and this may shape my design decisions, tending towards simple nets without many curves. However, this decision may change depending on the quality of the final designs.
Woohoo extra CAD lessons on Rhino 3D modelling software. I have never done anything like this before so I am very grateful that Mrs. Robertson has let me sit in on her lesson. Drawing with numbers is a very new experience, and there’s still the urge to pick up the stylus and just draw. So far only basic geometric shapes have been drawn such as squares, hexagons, and pentagons. It’s taking a little while to get my head around using grids and not just drawing everything literally (as in the Adobe package) but it’s fun and I actually like it.
The second picture shows the xmas tree with a hole in the top, because I didn’t click precisely on the top of the tree. However, once this was pointed out it was fixed quickly. The next stage involved experiments with basic colour, and adding shapes to the tree. It takes a while to get your head around the viewports, and matching them all up. That has been the hardest part so far.
Some screen shots: