Had a tutorial with Richard Chipps today to discuss the packaging, mainly because I wasn’t sure how to manufacture it, because companies don’t want to talk to students who aren’t actually going to put things into production. Here is how my design differed from the proposed final:
The window is now shaped, because I didn’t realise that it didn’t have to be square, apparently it’s just as easy to cut a shape as it is a square during the production process. I am going to do two finals, one in cardboard and one in metal. The handles are rounder and smoother in keeping with the overall feel of the design and Gillette brand.
It is common knowledge that people like to see the product that they are buying, so in this version of my packaging I have included a window through which you can clearly see the razor. This also means that cardboard can be used for the main body of the razor and bioplastic film for the window. I have been told the bioplastic will degrade under normal composting conditions, making this entirely environmentally friendly packaging. The fact that it is a lot smaller than the current Gillette Fusion packaging means that it will also save on raw materials, as FSC certified recycled cardboard can be used in conjunction with bioplastic film.
This is one of the colour options for the final packaging, based on the Gillette Fusion colour scheme. However, it seems too bright compared to the razor itself, so I will explore other colour options until an appropriate one is found.
There is also an issue of materials. This colourway would work in both cardboard and plastic because it is solid. However, I would not like to focus on plastics because although bioplastics are an option they are still relatively expensive, and do not degrade in landfill conditions where they are starved of light and oxygen. Cardboard would be a better option, and I will formulate nets based upon a single sheet of cardboard. However, there are security and safety issues with this material as well.
Using photoshop I wrapped the logo around this packaging design. You will get an idea of how it looks with the razor later on in the project. This is a preview of the final packaging design, made from cardboard with a solid vegetable print and no cellophane window. The left has no shading, showing the solid colour and pattern clearly, and the right has shading added:
There will be other alternatives made from other materials such as bioplastic, with extras such as cellophane windows. The logo and pattern were both taken from a Gillette logo, which can be found here and here.
As with everything, let me know if something’s wrong or if I’m not doing this correctly.
Here it is:
Have finished all Rhino tutorials, and have just had a vague attempt at drawing my own packaging designs, just to get a rough idea about how hard it will be, and how much time it will take.
This is the result:
It’s not very detailed yet, and it is not correctly measured because I did not bring my layout pad but you get the general idea. The razor itself is very complex, and I doubt I will be able to recreate it in two weeks, with only 6 hours practise with this program. However, I feel that if I just do the packaging you can get a good idea of what I am aiming for.
Experimented with drawing a basic chair, using elevator mode to assist with drawing.
This was a little bit frustrating as it’s hard to work out which viewport to look in, but I managed it in the end. The next step is to add surfaces to the chair.
Different kinds of chairs:
Using surface tools (may be most relevant for creating razor packaging):
Using fillet surface create curves between edges, for example if a surface is 10cm, make radius 5, then click on first surface, then second surface and press enter, and it should create a smooth curve between the two edges rather than a sharp right angle. I just kept selecting surfaces to see what would happen, and the results are below. This could prove a very useful tool for creating smooth edges on the main packaging idea, as most of the ideas are boxes with smoother edges because the nets will be simpler.